revised 09 July 2011
29 Sept 2010
29 Sept 2010
The more I post, more emails I receive about my political leanings (comments questioning my politics are promptly deleted). Instead of replying to every email or getting into a political discussion, I had the bright idea of posting my political views. And promptly ran into problems! I,Confused, I landed up at 2 websites which plot the political and personal issues on a graph.
- like being 'centrist', but towards the underprivileged, more 'liberal';
- totally abhor 'socialist' way of using resources but feel the same towards unbridled 'capitalism';
- am a 'libertarian' valuing individual liberty and freedom of speech, provided such actions are responsible and not hurtful;
- am a religious 'conservative', who loves 'atheists' when religious beliefs seem to cause more harm than heal;
- am an admirer of 'nationalism', but hate the 'jingoism' and like being ‘multicultural’;
- dislike ‘unilateralism’, but think that ‘multilateralism’ is no panacea;
- welcome ‘Globalization’, but will blog for ‘protectionism’ when native industries are hurt;
- am worried about the ‘environment’, but cannot stand the ‘organic farming’ madness;
- do sympathize with some ‘regional’ issues, but believe our only hope is the ‘Union’ of India;
- cannot agree, accept or live under 'radicals', 'fascists', 'communists' or 'anarchists' but only under representative ‘democracy’
- the ‘World's Smallest Political Quiz' (http://www.theadvocates.org/quiz)
- the results were :
- PERSONAL issues Score of 90;
- ECONOMIC issues Score of 30;
- the ‘Political Compass’ (www.politicalcompass.org/test) which has more extensive set of questions
- the results were:
- Economic Left/Right: -4.88;
- Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.15;
Then I transposed the result with the explanation charts provided (on the site), which lists similar plots for some famous personalities and contemporary politicians. Oooh! I am in august company. Well done!
So, there are my political views (not leanings). How I will actually lean & vote in an election is between me and the Electronic Voting Machine – and for you to wonder!